The 2nd Annual Regions Stroke Conference organized by Regions Stroke and Neuroscience Hospital, Owerri held on June 21 to June 22, 2019 at the Protea Hotel by Marriott, Owerri has come and gone with astounding success!
This year’s conference showcased world class experts in Stroke and Critical Care as well as Neurologists, Neuro- Surgeons,Cardiologists and Anesthetists from within Nigeria and the Diaspora such as:
- Professor Yomi Ogun MBChB, MPH, FWACP, FACP, FRCPE, FWSO
- Jite Erharhaghen MBBS, MD, MESC.
- Chinedum Anosike, MBBS, MSc, FRCR UK
- Akin Oluwole, MBBS, FRCS, LLM.
- Emecheta Okwudire, MBBS, FMC
- Prof. Ifeoma Okoye
- Benjamin Anyanwu, MD
- Tosin Majekodunmi, PhD, MBBS (London), MRCP (London), BSc
- Kaunda Ibebuike, MBBS. FMCS, FC (Neurosurgery)SA, MMED (Neurosurgery) Witwatersrand
- Oluwamayowa Opara, MBBS, FWACS.
- Christopher Olusanjo Akosile, PhD, MEd, BSc (PT).
- Seyi Oyesola, MBBS, FRCAI, AFICM.
- Ifeanyi Iwuchukwu, MD
The speakers, among other things, dealt extensively with Stroke, its Etiology, Treatment and Management as well as NeuroRehabilitation.
On Day 1 of the conference, topics such as:
- Neuroimaging in stroke
- The Golden Time period for Ischemic Stroke: Intravenous Tissue Plasminogen (tPA) Administration
- Stroke Beyond the window for Thrombolysis and Thrombectomy
- Organizing a Stroke Unit, The Tuebingen, Germany Experience
- There was also a hands- on practical class on Carotid Duplex Ultrasound and Result Interpretations
- Carotid Stenosis: Diagnosis, Clinical Relevance and Indications for Carotid Endarterectomy versus Carotid versus Carotid Duplex Angioplasty with Stenting
- Clinical Trials in Stroke Continuum
were extensively and exhaustively treated.
While on Day 2 the featured topics were as follows:
- Cryptogenic Stroke: Diagnosis, Investigation and Evidence for PFO intervention
- Cryptogenic Stroke and Strokes of Uncommon Etiology
- Surgery of ICH and Large Strokes
- Acute Diagnosis and Treatment of Subarachnoid Hemorrhage
- Management of Anticoagulation related ICH and Emergent Reversal of Anticoagulation
- Neuro ICU Management of Ischemic and Hemorrhagic Stroke, Intraventricular Hemorrhage and Hydrocephalus
- Neuro-rehabilitation for Stroke Victims
- Mechanical Ventilation of Patients with Neurological Injuries in the ICU
- Getting back into the community after a stroke
As we look forward to next year’s Stroke Conference, we hope that ample lessons have been learnt by all the attendees,
who were exposed to a conglomeration of best brains in the Neurosciences and other aspects of patient care.
Furthermore, we at Regions Stroke and Neuroscience Hospital hope that you will take out the time to visit us and experience firsthand, our state of the art facilities as well as interact with our highly trained medical and non-medical personnel.
This, we hope, will enable you entrust your friends and family in need of Neuro Care as well as ensure that doctors refer their patients into the capable hands of our Neuroscience and Critical Care experts.